Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Wonders of Web 2.0

Faced with limited resources but ample demand to use technology in instruction what could I as an Instructional Technologist do to help teachers in my system? More than I thought, and that’s a good thing. After attending the NECC 2007 conference in Atlanta this past June, I have become acquainted with a host of possibilities. I am all about free tools for my teachers, and now I have been exposed to so many it’s making my head spin. Normally, I’m not a fan of dizziness, but this is one ride where I don’t mind the feeling.

Although I was somewhat aware of the Web 2.0 tools that were out there, I’m ashamed to admit that I wasn’t a user myself. There were the normal excuses, of course - not time being the biggest. Until now that is, and I have made a 2007-08 school year resolution to use them so I can share and teach about them to others. I think the most exciting thing that I learned about was Wikis. Yes, I had used Wikipedia on many occasions, but never looked into creating my own. That’s all behind me now. As a central office employee often deluged with committee responsibilities, I am hopeful that using wikis will help me to streamline those responsibilities and hopefully reduce the need to have as many face-to-face meetings. I am realistic that this will take some time to get people to “buy” into, but I’m confident that will catch on slowly but surely.

0 comments: